Healthy Choices Facilitator
Job Description – June 2017
Title: Healthy Choices Facilitator
Job Status: Permanent, Full-time: Yearly from September – June
Salary: Based on experience
Benefits: Eligible for benefits after 3 months
Hours/week: 36 hours/week
Reports to: Program Manager
Job Description Overview:
The school based Healthy Choices Facilitator assists youth and school personnel in the Sea to Sky Corridor, with issues regarding drugs, alcohol, nutrition, resiliency, asset building, mental health and anxiety. The facilitator provides primary prevention and early intervention education in an attempt to reduce the incidence of alcohol, drug problems, mental health and anxiety among youth within the school community. This position is required to work with the Program Manager to reach the goals of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching or a related Health Services program. A minimum of 2 years’ experience working in an education or teaching environment. Curriculum development and classroom management skills mandatory. Ability to self-motivate, work independently and organize work and time efficiently. A high level of written and oral communication skills. Computer proficiency, including word, excel and email. Team oriented. Criminal Record Check required. Current First Aid and Mental Health First Aid Certificate. This position requires travel throughout corridor, so the successful candidate must have daily access to a reliable vehicle.
Drug Prevention and Education:
- Supporting school children at risk for drug & alcohol challenges.
- Develop prevention based curriculum related to drug and alcohol use.
- Provide information for students, teachers and parents about substance abuse issues.
- Assist in the development of school health policies and health initiatives. Assist in planning for a healthy school environment with school staff.
- Provide liaison with other agencies, professionals, government officials and the community.
- Work with Program Manager to development relevant and timely curriculum.
- Obtain feedback from teachers and school administration in program development
- Provide monthly stats to Program Manager.
Reporting and Administration:
- Prepare weekly statistics with all relevant activities and program referrals.
- Adheres to budget set out by WCSS and provides receipts for all expenditures.
- Ensures confidentiality of clients.
- Available for meetings as required with ED and Program Manager.
- Works within the guidelines set out by the ED, Program Manager and the Board of Directors.
Personal Attributes & Key Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Effective computer skills including: Word processing, spreadsheet, email
- Strong verbal, written and listening skills
- Possess social and cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Demonstrate strong integrity and work ethics
- Good team player
- Strong classroom management skills
- Adept at curriculum development
- Ability to identify and follow through on teachable moments